Have you heard the words Schema.org, Schema Markup,Structure Data thrown around in conversation? Have they left you scratching your head, wondering what the heck your teammates (especially web developers)were talking about?
What is Schema Markup?
Search Engines work hard to understand the content of the page. That is where Schema markup comes into play.
Schema markup, also known as structured data, is the language of search engines, using a unique semantic vocabulary. It is code used to more clearly provide information to search engines in order to understand your content. In turn, this helps provide users with better, more accurate information in the rich snippets that are displayed beneath the page title.
It is code used to more clearly provide information to search engines in order to understand your content. In turn, this helps provide users with better, more accurate information in the rich snippets that are displayed beneath the page title.
How Do I Implement SchemaMarkup on My Site?
Now you have probably said to yourself, great anothercoding language I have to learn
That’s not the case!
You don’t need to learn any new coding skills!
Here are some steps you can take using some of Google’s tool to get yourschema markup generated.
1. Go to Google’s Structure Data MarkupHelper.
2. Select the type of data that you plan to markup.
3. Paste in the URL of the page or article you want to markup.
4. Highlight and select the type of elements to be markedup.
5. Continue adding markup items.
Use the list of data items as a guide, and continue highlighting theother items in your article to add them to the markup list. Don’t worry if youcan’t tag every item, just get the ones that are required. But keep in mind themore the better.
6. Create the HTML.
7. Use the Structured DataTesting Tool to find out what your page will look like with theadded markup. You can also use the tool to test for any warnings.
8. Add the generated schema markup to your web page. Ifyou wish you can also add before testing.
There are plenty of other tools out there that will helpyou create your schema markup, and even validate it.